Hair is formed in minute pockets in the skin. Hair is found only on mammals. The primary component of hair fiber is keratin. Keratins are proteins, long chains (polymers) of amino acids. They tend to be the body’s barometer that indicates good health or the poor health. There are three types of hair that grow on the human scalp. Dry hair looks dull and is often difficult to control after shampooing. They have dry and split ends. When the oil glands become inactive they make the hair dry. Dry hair needs lot of care and nourishment. They tend to be thin, rough and brittle.The structure of hair is like the scales on the skin of a fish that has overlapping scales around a central core called the cortical. Smoother overlapping more shiny and smooth the hair looks. This also leads to easy combing while a tangled or roughed-up structure makes the hair look rough and dull. Diet and lifestyle are two major factors that influence the health of the hair. Poor diet, illness and deficiencies of any particular vitamin and mineral affects the quality of hair and problems like dandruff, thinning hair, balding, premature graying etc. spoil the hair. An individual the condition of the hair is a reflection of the complete constitution of him. If the person is not healthy then the health of the hair will be deplorable.
Some common hair related problems dandruff is very big problems of hair. Dry skin flaking off the scalp and itchiness is referred to as dandruff. Hair loss-when the amount of hair lost grows higher than the normal hair fall that takes place due to the change in environment, increasing age or growth of new hairs, it is referred to as hair loss problem that needs special care. Improper or poor diet, exposure to a lot of chemicals or cosmetics, hormonal imbalance, stress, anxiety and mental tension are some causes of hair loss. Premature graying of hair-Graying of hair is a natural process that happens with increasing age, but if the hair starts graying before the age of 35, it is termed as premature graying that occurs due to the aggravation of Pitta dosha. Itchy scalp-Aggravation of Pitta dosha, stress, allergic reaction to shampoo, air conditioning, pollution and central heating lead to an itchy and red scalp, with tiny pimples or sores, dull and dry hair.
Many treatment is avalable of hair problems including is use natural shampoo or soap to clean the hair. Use amla (embilica officinalis), Shikakai (Acacia concinna) for washing the hair. Enhance oiling and massaging of scalp. Use coconut oil or mustard oil at least three times in a week. Use medicated oils like ‘Mahabhringraj oil’, ‘Amala oil’ and ‘Arnica oil’. Put oil on the scalp and massage gently in the roots of the hair. Maintain a regular bowel movement everyday. The diet should contain more green leafy vegetables, salads, milk, fruits and sprouts. Take more proteins, milk, buttermilk, yeast, wheat germ, soybean and vitamin A. Regularly cleaning and brushing the hair is very important. When the hairs are brushed, oil-producing glands in the scalp get stimulated. This natural oil makes the hair glossy and healthy. To give extra shine to the hair, after washing rinse the hair with some lemon juice mixed in a cup of warm water.
Home Remedies for Hair Care
1. A diet rich in zinc should be followed, as the main cause of dry hair is the deficiency of mineral zinc.
2. Rosemary is an effective hair tonic and conditioner. Rosemary also helps retain color especially in dark hair.
3. Chamomile and lemon juice have a mild bleaching effect on hair. Mix chamomile tea with lemon juice and use as a rinse to lighten hair.
4. For problems with dandruff, add rosemary and/or patchouli essential oils to your shampoo or mix with almond oil as a hair treatment for your scalp.
5. Wash hair with peppermint or spearmint tea to promote hair growth.
6. Use flat beer to help prevent spit ends do it once or 2 times a month but it straight on your hair, wrap it in a towel for 1 to 2 hours and rinse out.
Apply raw egg and olive oil to prevent hair loss.
7. To a cup of coconut milk add two tablespoons of gram flour. Apply on the scalp and massage gently. Rinse the hair after five minutes. Use this method once a week.
8. Make a conditioner by mixing one tablespoon of castor oil, one tablespoon of glycerin, a teaspoon of cider vinegar, a teaspoon of protein to a tablespoon of mild herbal shampoo. Apply it on scalp and leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse the hair.
9. Add a teaspoon of lavender oil to the coconut oil and heat it for few seconds. Massage the scalp at night and shampoo the hair next morning. Follow this procedure twice a week for soft and shiny hair.
10. For hair growth apply coconut milk with aspirin and leave in hair for 2 hours then wash and rinse hair.
11. A tea and beer rinse is one of the oldest ways to bring shine to your hair. Boil used tea leaves in enough water, let it cool and then use this liquid as the last rinse.
12. In the similar fashion you can use flat beer (i.e. after letting the fizz out). This is a great conditioner to be used for your hair.
13. To bring that shine one can use honey to keep your scalp moisturized. You can make honey lotion for your hair by mixing 3 teaspoons of honey for pint of water.
14. The use of henna as a natural conditioner proves to be very beneficial for your hair. It helps to bring back the bounce and flair of your hair which has been lacking for quite a while.
15. For a great hair treatment/conditioner try 1 egg yoke, 1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil, and 2-3 drops Vitamin E. Combine these, wet hair, mix combination into hair. Let set for 3-5 minutes, feels/looks/smell strange but it works so well. Wash out with shampoo.